top of page

Visa Extensions

Visa Extensions
Home > Services > UK Immigration > Visa Extensions


Visa Extensions

Open Government Licence V3.0 United Kingdom
Some information on this page is from


We deal with a lot of visa extensions, the applications are often similar to the original application when you first applied for the Visa. There are several visa types that need extensions, if you are unsure just give us a call.


We will go through everything with you, step by step. We will ensure that you have all the documents and information you need to make a strong application. 

Remember, if you have been in the UK for more than 5 years, you could apply for Settlement

We also deal with the appeals process and can assist and advise you if you want to appeal a decision you received for your application to the Home Office. However, you may not always be able to appeal.

Different Extensions:

Visa Extensions

Spouse Visa

Tier 4 Student Visa

Tier 2 General Visa


What is a Visa Extension?

Each Visa Type in the UK has a set period for which you can stay in the UK which can be found on your Vignette (sticker in your passport) or Biometric residence Permit (BRP). However, for some Visas and in some circumstances, you could apply for this period to be extended beyond the original visa period. This is knows as a visa extension application. It is important to note that any visa application must be received by the Home Office before your current visa has expired. 


How long will the decision take to extend my Visa?

Decisions are made:

  • within 6 months for postal applications

  • within 8 weeks for online applications

  • within 10 days if you’re able to use the priority application service

  • usually on the same day if you use the premium service

You’ll be contacted if your circumstances or application are more complicated, for example if:

  • your case involves complex Human Rights arguments

  • your supporting documents need to be verified

  • you need to attend an interview

  • you have a criminal conviction

Spouse Visa Extension

Spouse Visa Extension

This is one of our most common applications. If you have been granted a spouse visa, you will have been granted permission to stay in the UK with your spouse for 2.5 years. Once this period is over, you will have to apply for an extension of this visa for a further 2.5 years. This would entail a further leave to remain application with fresh documents that support your application. Once you have been in the UK for 5 years continuously*, you can apply for Settlement

We can help you with this process and complete your application to extend your stay.

Our firm will charge a fixed fee of £1200 for an extension application, in addition to the Home Office application fee and the Immigration Health Surcharge fee.

*there is a limited number of days that you are allowed outside the UK, to be eligible for Indefinite Leave to Remain (after 5 years) you will have to have spent the majority of your time in the UK.


Tier 4 Student Visa Extension

Tier 4 Student Visa Extension

If you have a Tier 4 General Student Visa, you may be able to stay longer to continue your course or study a new one. To apply you still have to meet all the eligibility requirements as you did with your original application. You will need another Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS). 


If you’re continuing your studies

You can get a CAS if you’re:

  • re-sitting exams or repeating modules

  • applying for the first time to a new institution to complete a course you started at an institution that lost its Tier 4 sponsorship

  • applying to extend your stay to complete your studies because you’ve done (or want to do) a work placement or study abroad programme

  • completing a PhD or other doctorate that you started studying under your last Tier 4 (General) student visa

  • applying after working as a student union sabbatical officer to complete a qualification you started studying under your last Tier 4 (General) student visa

  • continuing your medical, dentistry or medical science degree after completing an intercalated course


If you’re starting a new course

You can get a CAS if your course is one of the following:

  • at a higher academic level than your previous course

  • at the same level and related to your previous course or career aspirations - it must be degree level or above at a Higher Education Institution (HEI)

  • intercalated to a medicine, dentistry or medical science course you started studying under a Tier 4 (General) student visa


Who can sponsor you

You can only apply to extend your leave to study if your current sponsor is:

  • a higher education institute (HEI)

  • an overseas HEI

  • an embedded college offering pathway courses

  • an independent school


You must apply:

  • within 6 months of getting a confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS)

  • before your current visa expires - but no more than 3 months before the course start date on your CAS

You can stay in the UK until you get your decision.

As always, we can assist you with the entire process.


Tier 2 General Visa Extension

Tier 2 General Visa Extension

You may be able to apply to extend your stay in the UK under a Tier 2 General visa.



You must have current permission to enter or stay on a Tier 2 General visa.

You must also meet the following conditions:

  • you have the same job as when you were issued your previous permission to enter or stay in the UK

  • you’re still working for the employer who assigned your certificate of sponsorship

  • you’re still earning an ‘appropriate salary’

You must be in the UK to extend your visa.


If you change your job

You may need to make a new Tier 2 (General) visa application if:

  • you want to change your job and your new job is with a different employer

  • your job changes to a different standard occupation classification (SOC) code, and you’re not in a graduate training programme

  • you leave a job that’s on the shortage occupation list for a job that isn’t on the list

You don’t need to apply again if you stay in the same job, but your job is taken off the shortage occupation list


You won’t need to make a new application if you’ll be staying with your current employer but your job will change in other ways, for example you want to change to a job in the same SOC code, or your pay will increase.

If you need to make a new application you must have a new certificate of sponsorship and you must meet all other application conditions, but you won’t need to send evidence in support of your application if you’ve sent it for a previous Tier 2 application.

You can continue working for your previous sponsor until the start date on your new certificate of sponsorship if your current permission to stay is still valid.

We will assist you with this process from start to finish.

If you want any advice, or need to extend your Visa, contact us today. Call us on 0115 845 6583 or email us at

bottom of page