Family and Partner Visa Routes


We can help with all types of UK Visas

Home > Services > UK Immigration > Family and Partner Visa Routes
Open Government Licence V3.0 United Kingdom
Some information on this page is from


There are many different types of visas for the UK. Take a look below at some of them. If you are not sure what visa you need, call us on 0115 845 6583.

If you would like to come to the UK as a family member, to study or to work, there is lots of information that you will need. We make it as simple as possible by clearly telling you what you need.

The Home Office fees for applications do change each year (around April) and once you submit an application the fees is non-refundable. To avoid any unwanted costs, we advise that you come and see us first.


Visit Visas


Standard Visitor Visa: You can apply for a Standard Visitor visa if you want to visit the UK: for example for a holiday or to see your family and friends, for business, to take part in sports or creative events or for another reason such as to receive private medical treatment.

Marriage Visitor Visa: You must apply for a Marriage Visitor visa if you want to get married or register a civil partnership in the UK, you want to give notice of a marriage or civil partnership in UK and you’re not planning to stay or settle in the UK after your marriage or civil partnership.


Short Term Study Visa: You can apply for a Short-term study visa if you’re doing a short course of study in the UK.​

*These Visitor Visa Routes are only for a period of 6 months.


Family and Partner Visas


Spouse Visa: If you wish to come to the UK to live with your British spouse your British spouse will need to meet the financial requirement of £18,600 

Fiancee Visa: If you wish to come to the UK to marry your British spouse you must have evidence that you have met each other and intend to live with each other after you have been legally married. Your British spouse must also meet the financial requirement.

Apply to join family living permanently in the UK: You must prove that you and your partner are 18 or over and in a genuine relationship. You must be one of the following: married or civil partners living together in a relationship for 2 years, engaged to be married or to become civil partners. 

Apply to remain in the UK with family: Your family member or partner can: be a British citizen that has settled in the UK or be your partner who has asylum or humanitarian protection in the UK. You may also be able to apply to remain with your child if they have lived in the UK for at least 7 years.

Apply to settle in UK if partner dies: You can apply to settle in the UK if your partner dies and you’re either: in the UK as the partner of a ‘settled person’, example; they had ‘indefinite leave to remain’ and you’re their dependant in the UK or as the partner of a British Citizen, example; you married a British Citizen and have a UK visa on that basis.

*Some of these Visa Routes are within a 5 or 10 year period.


Indefinite Leave to Remain


ILR: There are many different ILR applications depending on your circumstances, we advise that you contact us if you want to apply for ILR or need assistance with your application.

ILR applications have deadlines and therefore please visit us well in advance of the expiry of your current visa.

If you are not sure what application you need, you can take an easy, free test here. Or contact us directly by calling 0115 845 6583.


It is important for all clients to be as cooperative as possible. Many applications to the Home Office have a deadline, so working closely with our clients is the best and easiest way to ensure applications are sent on time.

AM Law Solicitors Ltd - 10 Years | Est: 2008
AM Law Solicitors
Foxhall Lodge
Foxhall Road
Phone: 0115 845 6583
Open: 9.00am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday.
Open Government Licence V3.0 United Kingdom
The Solicitors Regulation Authority AM Law Solicitors 573577

AM Law Solicitors is a trading name of AM Law Solicitors Ltd, a limited company registered in England and Wales #8034677. Authorised and Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority #573577. Information on this website is from under the Open Government LicenceWebsite Verified by Norton. Website designed by Philip Isherwood.