UK Family Visas - Income Threshold Explained

Most UK Family Visas require you to show a minimum of £18,600 coming into your bank account. This article will go through what you need to show to meet the requirement, what to do if you don't meet the requirement and also, what can be counted as 'income'.

Give proof of your income

You and your partner must have a combined income of at least £18,600 a year if:

  • you’re applying as a partner

  • you want to settle in the UK (get ‘indefinite leave to remain’) within 5 years

You must prove you have extra money if you have children who aren’t:

  • British citizens

  • EEA nationals

  • permanently settled

You’ll need to earn an extra:

  • £3,800 for your first child

  • £2,400 for each child you have after your first child

This is the called the ‘minimum income requirement’.

You may be able to use your savings instead of income.

How you prove you have the money depends on how you got the income.

What counts as income

You and your partner can use:

  • income from employment before tax and National Insurance (check your P60 or payslips) - you can only use your own income if you earn it in the UK

  • income you earn from self-employment or as a director of a limited company in the UK - check your Self Assessment tax return

  • cash savings above £16,000

  • money from a pension

  • non-work income, for example from property rentals or dividends

If you’re using income from self-employment or employment, you’ll need to prove you or your partner received that income for 6 months or more.


You’ve worked with the same employer earning £18,600 or more for 6 months or longer.

What proof you need to give

You’ll need to send proof of your income with your application. If you or your partner are employed, you could include:

  • bank statements showing you or your partner’s income

  • 6 months of payslips

  • a letter from an employer, dated and on headed paper

The employer’s letter should confirm:

  • you or your partner are employed there

  • the job title or position you or your partner hold

  • how long you or your partner have worked there

  • the type of contract (for example, permanent, fixed term)

  • what you or your partner earn before tax and National Insurance

  • how long you or your partner have been paid your current salary

  • the payslips are genuine

You’ll be told exactly what documents to send when you apply online.

Check the detailed guidance if:

  • you or your partner’s income is more complicated

  • you or your partner have taken maternity or paternity leave in the last 6 months

  • you want to combine different income sources

The detailed guidance also explains the evidence you need to provide for each of the types of income you’re relying on.

If you can’t meet the minimum income requirement

You need to show you and your partner meet the minimum income requirement if you want to settle in 5 years as a partner.

If you don’t meet the requirement, you may be able to settle in 10 years.

When you don’t need to meet the income requirement

You may be able to settle in 5 years without meeting the minimum income requirement if either:

  • you’re applying as a parent

  • you get certain benefits, for example Disability Living Allowance or Carer’s Allowance.

You need to show you and your family have enough money to adequately support and accommodate yourselves without relying on public funds. The caseworker considers your income and housing costs.

Here at AM Law Solicitors, we will go through the entire process for you, and tell you exactly what you need to provide. If you want to apply for any type of Visa for the UK, please contact us today. Give us a call on 0115 845 6583.

This article was originally published on the GOV.UK website -

#Immigration #Visa

Home > News > News Article / Post

RSS Feed: 

RSS Feed

Tag Cloud:

No tags yet.

Post Categories:


Recent Posts:

AM Law Solicitors Ltd - 10 Years | Est: 2008
AM Law Solicitors
Foxhall Lodge
Foxhall Road
Phone: 0115 845 6583
Open: 9.00am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday.
Open Government Licence V3.0 United Kingdom
The Solicitors Regulation Authority AM Law Solicitors 573577

AM Law Solicitors is a trading name of AM Law Solicitors Ltd, a limited company registered in England and Wales #8034677. Authorised and Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority #573577. Information on this website is from under the Open Government LicenceWebsite Verified by Norton. Website designed by Philip Isherwood.